Wednesday, July 15, 2026

6.Why Big Berta?

    Some of you might wonder why I am calling this camera and this entire project Big Berta,  Old Baby Boomers might know, but I would venture that most younger people have no idea. You see, my grandfather fought in WW1, and I often heard him talk about "La Grosse Bertha". It was a huge canon  that the German army used to shell Paris from 100km away, which was unheard of at the time. Made by Krupp, it was named after his daughter Bertha...

   It shot huge 42mm shells:

 
      Cameras are used to shoot too.  The name just came to mind when I decided to build that big gun to shoot huge 16x20 images. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

16. The rack and pinion focusing system

     On the Big Berta front, I have moved along albeit slowly building the beast, but made some progress. The wood panels require sanding, s...