Thursday, July 9, 2026

1. Why?

         A Mechanical Engineer by training, a self taught Artist, a jack of all trades, an Eternal Avid Student, a Chaser of Dreams, I have been going through various Artistic Projects for more than 40 years now, from 3D Photography to Painting to Sculpture to Bookbinding to Building a House to Building an Airplane to Bobbing Bikes to Architectural Projections to Making Musical Instruments to Architectural Reliquaries to etc...

       The most exciting part of any project always seems to be the discovery, brainstorming and designing stage. This particular Big Berta project was triggered by an encounter with a 10 year old article on PetPixel titled "I built myself a 16x20-inch camera in 12 hours", written by a guy named Giles Clement:
      The camera is rough, but it worked fine, and he shot that night some ambrotypes on wet collodion glass plates that struck me as absolutely gorgeous, haunting and exciting:



    To give credit where credit is due, he eventually built a much fancier camera, and went on to become a well known professional photographer:



      His web site shows more of his Art:   www.gilesclement.com

      Thank you so much Giles for turning me onto this totally by accident. I was flailing grasping at straws in search of a new exciting project, and that seems to have done the trick.  I am very excited in trying this journey into the 19th century. And I am very happy too that my old partner in crime and friend Randy is going to take that trip with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

15. Building the box

     The final size for the back standard is 23 3/4"H x 22 1/2"W, so the inside of the box needs to be exactly 24"x22 3/4...