Before I design the back itself, I have to start with the plate holder. I spent some time sketching idea in my notebook, which will be refined and drawn on scale once I decide which among many designs I like best. I am striving to keep the camera as small and light as possible, and am trying to fit it all in a 24"24" x8" box.
I always try to use materials I have around the studio rather than going to the store and spending money. I happen to have bunch of left over 3/4" x 12"x 1/16" U shaped aluminum channel, and a bunch of 1/2"x3/4" mahogany sticks from Guatemala that fit perfectly inside, so I designed a holder that would use them. All I will need is a piece of thin steel or aluminum for the slide and a plywood hinged door. To make sure that it will be stiff and solid enough, I glued a test corner with cyanocrylate (crazy) glue, and was amazed how strong it was. I cant break it apart. It is not as attractive as a solid wood plate holder, but collodion is messy, and aluminum is easier to clean.
This is the basic idea, and the ground glass holder can be made exactly the same way except for the back door:

No comments:
Post a Comment