Saturday, July 11, 2026

5. FINAL DESIGN

      I spent some time today finishing the basic design for the camera. It is a very large field camera design, with the closed camera being a 24"x24"x8"box. I will stain the wood and use brass braces to make it look like a 19th century contraption.

  I will try to keep the weight down with cutouts where is will not affect the rigidity of the open structure.

  All the dimensions are not quite set, as I need to first design and build the plate holder and the back frame on which it will fit. I actually want the back to be able to accept also 11x14, 8x10 and 5x7 plate holders, so we do not have to do exposure and development tests on large 16x20 glass plates.

  I have a bunch of black tight weave polished chintz fabric that I believe will work fine for the front extension, and possibly also for the bellows if I glue two layers together with sandwiched card stock forms for each pleat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

15. Building the box

     The final size for the back standard is 23 3/4"H x 22 1/2"W, so the inside of the box needs to be exactly 24"x22 3/4...