Friday, July 24, 2026

13. Testing the lenses

  I finally got around to mounting that 1940 Bausch and Lomb 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 Tessar on my 8x10 view camera, and even though it is called a 6 1/2 x 8 1/2, it seems to cover the whole 8x10 frame at 8 ft from the subject. There is no focal length indicated on these lenses, and Google gives it between 180mm and 210mm. The maximum aperture on the ring is 4.6, and the glass diameter is 53mm, so that would calculate to roughly 53 mm x 4.6 = 243mm. In any case, it is on the short side for an 8x10 as a portrait lens. But then again, I tend to like shorter lenses.
  While I was at it, I made a wooden mounting plate and tested the big 60cm f9 Apo Tessar. With my maximum bellows extension of 25", I can focus on the rainbow neon about 12 ft away. As big as that front lens is though, it is still rather dim... And we won't know until the 16x20 camera is finished whether it covers that format satisfactorily.



No comments:

Post a Comment

16. The rack and pinion focusing system

     On the Big Berta front, I have moved along albeit slowly building the beast, but made some progress. The wood panels require sanding, s...