Wednesday, July 22, 2026

10. Designing and making the front standard

     I was originally going to keep things very simple, as we really won't need raises, tilts and swings much to shoot our collodion glass plate portraits. But then why not build a fully functional view camera. I have after all all the time in the world in my hands.

    I started toying with two possible design:


but finally settled on the same as for the back standard, except without the rack and pinions:


   Obviously, that decision means I will have to make a set of bellows for the front too.

   I used the remaining oak plank to make a 9"x9" frame to which the 5.5"x5.5" lens board will be attached:



No comments:

Post a Comment

16. The rack and pinion focusing system

     On the Big Berta front, I have moved along albeit slowly building the beast, but made some progress. The wood panels require sanding, s...